About Me

My photo
Ruminations, Reflections and Retrospective reports from the life of a strange person.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Are you being chased?

The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, but the righteous are bold as a lion.--Proverbs 28:1 NASB  
(By the way, the Proverbs Chapter for the day is a nice handy little way of picking place and a pace for daily reading.) 

I was reading Proverbs 28 today, and this first verse caught my attention in a new way. In what ways do I flee when no one is pursuing?  I don't think I am generally characterized by the "wicked" of proverbs, but if I have been slack in my work or an assignment, do I avoid professors? ---oooh. maybe a little.

Interestingly, the NASB study bible notes (which are heavily based on the NIV Study Bible notes) references David as an example of being bold as a lion.  In particular, they reference 1 Sam. 17:46 where David as a young man challenges Goliath.  It struck me as a curious choice to use David, since for a significant portion of his life he was a fugitive, and toward the end of his reign he fled as an old man in the face of an attempted coup by his son (David Flees Absolom).  However, I realized quickly that in both those cases there WAS someone pursuing.  The wicked have a guilty conscience and imagine their own pursuers, while the righteous have no need to imagine their enemies.

Which will it be? Real hardship and toil in the name of righteousness and God's glory? Or time spent scared of our own conscience, avoiding accountability and living with paranoia?

It is also interesting to think about when it is right for the righteous to flee in the face of a pursuer.  I think that's something for a different time, though.

1 comment:

  1. That's really interesting. Especially the part where David's running and the question arises, from what is he running. I think it's a good point that not only the wicked are running, but that there's such a difference between the kind of running and the causes for the two types of people.
    Your comment about "Which will it be?" reminds me of Paul saying something about punishment vs suffering for righteousness. Ironic but in accord with what Christ predicted that either way is hard, just different.

    ReplyDelete