About Me

My photo
Ruminations, Reflections and Retrospective reports from the life of a strange person.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

demystifying science

Stay tuned after the following self-reflection for a thanksgiving story from Israel!

I used to think that the reason that people weren't as excited about some parts of science was merely because they had never had someone explain it to them. I used to think that the reason people didn't understand how things worked was because they hadn't found a good library yet. I used to think that other people would buy new things or pay to have them fixed because they didn't enjoy fixing them.

I have since learned that the majority of people in the world don't actually care how their possesions work. They throw them away or pay for them to be fixed simply because "it stopped working." They don't get rid of it because "oh, the surface mount component is fried on the main board, and it's cheaper to get a whole new [item] instead of a replacement main board."

Part of this realization came when someone asked why I knew how something worked. I replied that I liked to know as much about the things I use as possible.. it helps to form mental models and it is rewarding to understand the tools you use. They responded that surely it was a silly claim that I understood the things I use, for instance, my microwave. I answered by describing the electronics of the magnetron that is commonly used to produce microwave radiation for microwave ovens, and explain why it is that the screen is able to keep the microwaves in. The person reacted with a shocked expression of wonder.

People often ask why I know so much. It really comes down to a few things: an incurable curiosity, and an ability to learn on my own, and God has blessed me with a mind that can swallow concepts as easily as a snake swallows its prey (I think that means my mind's a little bit unhinged.... if you carry the analogy on...). These things are at the core of being an engineer, and it's why I love what I do.

THANKSGIVING IS TOMORROW....
and I will be spending the day in the kitchen, baking 2 pumpkin pies, 2 apple pies, and a turkey.

However, today I heard a story from one of my professors, who told me about his first thanksgiving in Israel. He and a few couples decided that they would do a thanksgiving party, and divided up all the dishes, and all gathered in a home. Just as they were getting ready to begin, they turned on the radio (I presume to find some music) and instead heard the news that JFK had been shot. The party spirit was killed, the meal cancelled, and he hasn't celebrated thanksgiving since.
I didn't say it was a happy story. But I've learned my lesson... only check the news after the party's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment