About Me

My photo
Ruminations, Reflections and Retrospective reports from the life of a strange person.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cough... do not look at the long absence of posts... nothing to see here... move along.

welp, I'd say the verdict is failure. DEFINITELY have managed to slip on the one post a week goal.

But, not much point to dwelling on that, I'll just pick up some of the highlights and move on.

Since classes don't start until the 14th, I've been spending a lot of time hanging around, staying up late, sleeping in, watching movies (which counts as studying if you turn on hebrew subtitles, right?) and in general picking up on the summer laziness.

This time is full of holidays; there's a "new year" (during the seventh hebrew month... yeah... I think it's just an excuse for a holiday). There's also Yom Kippur, and now Sukkot.

I've managed to fit in two birthday parties for friends from the congregation I'm attending, including one that was in Tel Aviv at a Thai restaurant, where I ordered "Moo Phat Prick" (that's exactly how it was written on the menu). It was really good.

Besides that, there's not a whole lot that I can report on in general. I bought a really nice phone online, and cell phone service here in some ways makes more sense than in the US. For instance, it always bugged me to death that you would get charged for text messages/calls that you did not initiate. Not so here in Israel. score.

So, I'll finish up this post with a quick bit of Hebrew for y'all.
Some of the worst parts of Hebrew/English are shown by this cute little phrase:

She is היא and he is הוא and who is מי and me is אני.
she is {HEE} and he is {HOO} and who is {MEE} and me is {ANNEE}.

but seriously, the fact that the hebrew word for "she" sounds exactly like the english word "he" is not a great help.

Have fun everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment